Monday, May 11, 2009

My fish tacos.

(photo taken by my third child)
This is SUCH a good summer recipe.  I have been trying to figure out a good fish taco recipe for a long time...or at least after I had them at The Cheesecake Factory.  Mine aren't quite as good as those, but close.  ;)  Some of you may have the old fish taco recipe, but this one is better and easier.

Ingredients:
--4 (or more) Tortilla & Lime Crusted Tilapia fillets (you can get them frozen at Wal-Mart, and sometimes individually at the grocery store fish area place)
--1/4 c sour cream
--1/4 c Miracle Whip (I use the light)
--1 T Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning
--1/8 c Lawrey's Baja Chipotle marinade (liquid, in the bottle)
--1 package California Slaw or Broccoli Slaw (it's a small bag usually near the bagged salads)
--1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
--thinly sliced purple onion
--thinly sliced avocado
--fresh cilantro leaves
--thinly sliced tomatoes (if you want)
--corn tortillas (yellow corn tortillas are the best)

Bake tilapia according to directions (or about 15-20mins at 350 degrees).  I usually cook until almost done then broil it to make it extra crispy for about 5 minutes.  To make the slaw dressing while fish is baking, combine the sour cream, Miracle Whip, marinade, and seasoning in a small bowl.  In another larger bowl add the California slaw.  Add the dressing a couple of tablespoons at a time to get the desired dressing-ness for your slaw.  I don't like the slaw smothered, and keep lots of extra dressing to top on the tacos.  Next prepare your veggies and toppings as you like.  We normally don't heat the black beans, but you can if you want.  Heat corn tortillas.  When tilapia is ready, pull it out and cut into strips.  We usually cut as we make the tacos.  Pile on the fish and toppings as high as you want!  If you happen to add too much "filling", you can double your tortilla.  :)  They are SO fresh, so light, and SO good.  :)

--I sort of guesstimated on the dressing ingredient amounts.  I don't ever measure, but I usually use the same proportions.  :)  Serve with margaritas and Enjoy!

--You can also use plain tilapia filets.  I would marinate them in the Baja Chipotle marinade and grill them or cook them in a skillet.  :)

1 comment:

Davina said...

Oooo....I'm so trying these. I've been looking for a great fish taco recipe!!