Friday, February 22, 2008

Flu+9 Months of Pregnancy=Hell

I've been feeling bad since Tuesday and finally went to the clinic today to see if I had the flu.  They did the nose swab thing and found that I have the type A Influenza, which apparently is the worst one.  Yesterday was by far my worst day though.  I felt horrible.  My skin and hair follicles even hurt.  And of course my huge belly and nice cough that comes with the flu don't mix well.  I have been sore from coughing too.  I had a baby doc appointment Thursday and she told me that I should go get my nose swabbed to check to see if that was really what it was.  But she also told me that if that's what it was, there really wasn't much other than OTC drugs I could take.  So, I decided against going and paying my $30 just to have them tell me whether or not I had it.  But today my ears were killing me.  I've never had an ear infection, but when my ears are acting up, I can't STAND it.  I went to a clinic near Anna's pediatrician.  They took one look at me without even asking what I needed and turned me away.  They said they can't treat pregnant chicks.  Pretty ridiculous I thought.  So off I went to another clinic.  The were much nicer and I got to go straight in.  They did the nose swab and let me know I had the flu, but no ear infection.  Thanks goodness.  I for sure don't need anything else go wrong.  

And as I said earlier about yesterday being my worst day...  I had to go up to labor and delivery to have them stop my contractions.  I called my doctor to just give her a "heads up" that I was having contractions that were about 8 minutes apart.  They didn't really hurt that bad, but they were a little different than my Braxton Hicks that I've had for months now.  They told me to ahead and go up to the hospital.  I was very annoyed by this but I guess if I didn't want them to tell me that then I shouldn't have called.  But what would have happen then?  Who knows.  They hooked me up to the monitor and "checked me" (my favorite thing....ugh.).  I was only about 1 centimeter dilated but my contractions were off the chart.  They increased to about 5 minutes apart while I was there.  But they still didn't hurt that bad.  So they gave me two shots of some good stuff and we were on our way back home.  The shots were good enough that I couldn't drive home so my sister and mom took care of my car.

Anna and I had already made plans for her to go to Grammy's house this weekend.   Nana took her last night while I was feeling bad and at the hospital.  She drove her to meet Grammy this afternoon so I could rest.  I just hope no one else in the house gets this flu since there's almost no time left to recover before we have newborn here.  That would NOT be fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry you're sick. What misery. We will be praying for you and your family.