Thursday, November 06, 2008

Life goes on...

Today was the day that J and I were supposed to leave for a much needed trip away.  J had a conference for work and they always exceed our expectations with accommodations, meals, and entertainment for us...a completely paid for trip (almost).  And it would have been great to see some out of town friends again that we don't get to see often.  But since the kids have gotten sick, yes I did say KIDS (plural), I'll be staying home this weekend.  
After the Wal-Mart/puke episode, Anna got sick as well.  It wasn't until the next day.  She was pretty mopey most of that morning and I just thought she was sad that I wasn't playing with her much since I was changing a diaper and/or clothes about every 5 minutes.  She was actually just feeling bad.  She didn't eat much all day and at about 2pm, she threw up all over her bed.  It was VERY traumatic.  I heard the weird and alarming couch/gag and ran into her room.  She was standing on her bed screaming and pointing down at the puke on her sheets.  I grabbed her and tried to make it to the bathroom without succeeding.  She threw up right at the door to her room.  She was flipping out.  This girl just doesn't get sick and it had been a long time since she had really thrown up...I'm sure she doesn't even remember it.

Erin, the lifesaver and one of the bravest women I know, came over to help out.  She took Anna outside, watered the plants, went on a nature walk and gathered things for a craft, and helped Anna "puke like a big girl in the potty."  Erin also brought over some Pedialite and some coffee for, of course, keep ME hydrated!  HA!
Anna was sick the rest of the day.  She really was a big girl and ran into the bathroom when she needed to throw up.  She calmed down and seemed to feel a little better before bed.  She got up at about 2am needing to potty.  She sat down and said, "Mommy, I puked in the potty like a big girl today!"  She was so proud.  She slept well the rest of the night.

Grey has also been sleeping well, but is still sick.  Our genius friend/pediatrician, Elizabeth, told me that it's just a stomach virus and not the dreaded "Shigella" (sp?) virus that is going around.  That sounds very scary, and we are thankful that neither of them have it.  She did say that the diarrhea, which Grey has had for almost 4 days now and Anna started today, can last for up to a week.  Grey's poor bottom is as red as I've ever seen it.  He just doesn't seem to feel well at all...certainly not as well as Anna.  Anna is back eating and drinking normally.  I'm trying to keep things light for her.  Grey just doesn't seem to want much at all.  His poor legs are completely raw from the one legged combat crawl since I've been keeping him in only a long sleeve shirt because of all the diaper changes.  I hope he feels better soon.

J will be leaving at around 5am tomorrow.  He stayed today to help me out.  I hope neither of us get this bug.  Our hands are cracked and dry from all the washing and hand sanitizer.  I also hope that J doesn't get it while away.  There will be another trip for me to go on.  I'm not worried about it.  I was earlier, but am not now.  I thought that I totally NEEDED this trip after this crazy week, but I'll be fine.  God definitely slapped me with the selfish stick this week!  I have great family and friends that will come over even when I have puking children.  Thanks guys!

1 comment:

Erin said...

We love you guys SO much. Anna's still the cutest kid in the world- even when she's puking. I'm sure J won't have NEARLY as much fun without you. I hate when God whips out his selfish stick....hmmm, I wonder if I was getting 'slapped' when I ended up with 'homeboy' at the hospital this week....... :)